Saturday, March 12, 2011

Still On The Road....

I think I have driven more in the last 5 days than ever before! It's been the most beautiful drive though so it has been well worth it.
We woke up in Milford Sound to pouring rain, which lent for this scene upon leaving our room. All of those waterfalls were not heavy the day before. Supposedly it rains 180+ days a year there.



Once we got to drier land we started seeing these views.



Our goal for driving up the coast was to see the glaciers and to attend the Wild Foods Festival at the recommendation of some friends back at home. There really is no other way to describe it other than Bay to Breakers except drinking is encouraged, you are penned in a festival arena and they serve everything from chocolate covered grubs to worm truffles to pork sausages.
There is live music all day and costume contest for the best costume fitting the theme of that year.














Being at the festival was the first time since being here that I have gotten emotional because my best friend's first baby shower was taking place at the same time back at home. Literally 30 seconds later God sent me this angel.



See, Aubrey's family is from Kentucky...it was a sign!
After the festival there was a concert with local bands that we stayed for. It was really good, however it made for an extra long day. So when we got back to our hostel at 2:00am we were not too happy to find the front door locked and we did not have the code to open it. I had to crawl in through the laundry room window to let Nelly in. Yep, that really happened.
This morning on our way out of town we stopped at the Monteith's Brewery for a tour and a tasting. It's pretty much the only beer we have been drinking (cider for me).




After we got a tasting of all of their brews, they let us pour a full glass of whatever we wanted. Nelly had their Original Ale whose recipe dates back 200 years and I had their seasonal Summer Ale which tasted like Ginger and honey.



I'm not a big beer drinker, but boy can I sure pour a good one!



Next we are off to the Franz Josef Glacier. Stay tuned!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment